Includes districts' integration information, including contacts for district support and login instructions, and an overview of how Clever integration works.
Tier 1 Troubleshooting Access Issues
1. Is student’s and teacher’s school in a district that has a Clever integration ("Clever SSO or Rostering enabled" should be listed with the school information within the user's account details in VHL Central Support Tools)? Confirm district/school name with user and check for a school’s district by:
- Clicking on school listing associated with a user's account details in VHL Central Support Tools.
- Can also quickly check the school’s Organization record in ZD: If the fields “Parent Account” and “Parent Account ID” include information, then the school is associated with the district noted (check list of launched districts. Also look at the “LMS” field for further confirmation as a “Clever SSO District AY 2017-2018” or “Clever Rostering District AY 2017-2018.”
Yes: Go to step 2.
No: It is possible that the district has not completed their Clever integration or the integration is not yet approved by VHL. Escalate to Tier 2 for confirmation of district’s Clever integration status (you may also refer teachers to the district’s Clever admin, students to their teacher, admins to the VHL MLS). Any expressed interest by a non-Clever school in setting up a Clever integration should be referred to VHL Sales (MLS).
2. Is the user having difficulty with the Clever login process (not VHL access)? Agents should refer to the Clever Login Triage to troubleshoot.
a. Problems with the Clever portion of the login process
Yes: Agent should review the triage document to determine type of login issue. If the customer simply needs to know how to login, there are login instructions for each district linked in the article <Clever Overview and District Information: Single Sign-On and Rostering>, which can be sent to users who are unsure of how or where to login.
No: Go to step 2b.
b. Problems getting to VHL Central Home (user seeing message ! VHL does not recognize your school.)
Yes: The problem is likely with the VHL school-district association. This issue needs to be escalated to Tier 2 so it can be reported to Eric Mack via Jira (school and district names as well as Salesforce ids and Clever ids will be needed).
No: Go to step 3.
3. Does user have VHL Central account (nothing found after performing a user search in Support Tools)?
Yes: Go to step 4.
No: User needs to login via their SIS/portal (through Clever), click on the VHL Central / Vista Higher Learning icon/link setup by the school district’s Clever admin to access VHL Central and begin the account creation process. You may need to provide portal or instant login link to assist user. If this is not successful or they do not know their login info, refer them to their district’s support contact, Clever support, or to their teacher (if a student). Please note that if a user is seeing a message during login that is on VHL Central, then the problem is likely with the VHL school-district association (this issue needs to be escalated to Eric Mack via Jira with school and district names as well as Clever ids).
4. Is VHL Central account username a Clever userid (should be long series of numbers and letters)? Clever userids are visible in Support Tools user profiles or users may be directed to go to My account in VHL Central to view and confirm their username. Note that email address in the VHL user profile is not a real email address. We will have no way to contact students via email, so their teacher is the main point of contact via email. Teacher user profiles may have real email contact information (if Clever passed the info), which should be entered/confirmed in the teacher’s Zendesk profile.
Yes: Go to step 5.
No: User is logging in using a non-Clever account. Non-Clever accounts are blocked from enrolling in courses at a Clever-enabled school. Direct the user to log into VHL Central or their VHL language program via their SIS/portal (through Clever). If they are unsure how to do so, provide the user with their portal url and/or instant login link (available in the overview and district info article) to try login. If this is not successful or they do not know their login info, refer them to their district’s support contact, Clever support, or to their teacher (if a student). Note that if a teacher set-up courses in a non-Clever account, they will need to recreate those courses in the Clever-associated account because there is no way to transfer the courses.
5. Does the teacher have the course setup at the correct school?
Yes: Go to step 6.
No: If the course is set-up at the incorrect school, then the teacher did not use their Clever-associated account to create the courses. Note that if a teacher set-up courses in a non-Clever account, they will need to recreate those courses in the Clever-associated account because there is no way to transfer the courses. (As of 8/10/16, instructors see a message on dashboard about why they cannot create courses.)
6. Does teacher have course created in the Clever-associated VHL Central account?
Yes: Go to step 7.
No: Confirm by checking userid of teacher’s account (should be long series of numbers and letters). Advise the teacher to create the course after logging to VHL Central via their district’s SIS/portal (through Clever).
7. a. Single Sign-On only: Can student see course in VHL Central enrollment table, enroll in the course, and access the course without receiving any error messages?
Yes: Go to step 8.
No: Replicate problem, take screenshots, and record in ZD ticket. Escalate to Tier 2. DO NOT try to disable the account or recreate the account on VHL Central.
b. Rostering only: Are one or more students not enrolled in the VHL Central course that is linked to a section in Clever?
Yes: Confirm with the teacher/admin the date/time the student(s) was added to the Clever section, date/time the sections were linked, and if the student has attempted to log in to VHL via their SIS portal. Advise customer that synching on linked courses can take up to 24 hours to complete, so it is possible that the district simply needs to wait for synching to complete. If updates/linking were done more than 24 hours ago, escalate to Tier 2 with details about the student(s), teacher, and courses in VHL Central and Clever. Tier 2: Check the list of students in the teacher's linked section in the Clever dashboard. If the student(s) are listed in the Clever section, but not in the VHL section (or do not have a VHL Central profile in User Search), escalate to supervisor.
No: All students listed in the Clever section are enrolled in the VHL Central course. Go to next step.
8. Does student account show correct privileges for the book based on requirements for teacher’s course, but is unable to access certain content?
Yes: If students and instructors are unable to access ©2014 eBook or practice partner, this is a known limitation of Clever integrations. All districts were made aware of this limitation before VHL approved the integration. Refer teachers to Clever admin and students to teacher. If there is an issue with any other content access, go to 8 b.
No: This is a site license issue. Review troubleshooting for site license to determine next steps when teacher’s course access does not match the district/school’s license package(s).
Tier 1 Troubleshooting School Transfers / Dual Enrollments
1. Is the student(s) supposed to be enrolled in only one course at one school in the district, but the student(s) transferred to a new school within the Clever district since the start of the academic year?
- If the admin has not already done so, confirm with the district's Clever admin that the user's Clever profile has been updated to the correct school and correct teacher's course (if Rostering is implemented).
- For Clever SSO integrations
- the newly added school should be updated in VHL Central user profile based on the corrections made in the user's Clever profile. Confirm that the new school is listed, then send directions on how to change the school and enroll in a new course.
- if the VHL Central user profile does not list the new school, please record in ZD internal notes the student's VHL Central account details and details about the old and new school and the district (Clever ID, VHL ID) as detailed in Support Tools>user's account details>District>Other schools in district list (click on school name in account details of user). Escalate to Tier 2.
- For Clever Rostering integrations (Go live is Fall 2017)
- the student will be auto-enrolled in the correct teacher's course as along as the teacher's course has been linked. Confirm that the new teacher's course is linked.
- Enrollment changes on VHL Central are processed once daily, overnight. Advise admin to check student's account the following day and contact us back if the enrollment update did not complete.
No: Go to step 2.
2. Does the student need to be enrolled in simultaneous courses at one or more schools in the district?
- It is not possible with the Clever integration for students to be enrolled in more than one school using the same VHL Central account and the same Clever ID. There is a workaround that the district can use to still allow students to be enrolled at more than one school.
- Workaround: Unique Clever profiles must be created for each school at which the student is enrolled in a course. The Clever district admin must create the unique Clever profile for the student.
- The student can then log in to the VHL Central courses via the appropriate Clever user profile.
Tier 2 Escalations
1. Is the district’s integration approved, launched, and live? Check the <Districts Using Clever> list or associated schools linked in a user's account details in VHL Central Support Tools.
Yes: Go to step 2.
No: Not approved; refer to VHL Sales (MLS) for status of the request. Not launched or live; refer to district’s Clever admin.
2. Does the teacher/student or school appear in Clever’s dashboard district info? (This requires escalation to Herbert Mena, Edison Gomez; Julian Mantilla if Herbert or Edison are not available or, if all other supervisors are unavailable, Tina Desprez.)
Yes: Go to step 3.
No: The teacher or student is not included in the district’s data. Advise user to contact their district’s Clever admin/support contact for assistance in getting added to Clever. If the high school is not listed in the Clever dashboard, the admin will need to add the school and notify VHL when complete, so that VHL can update the district association to include this school. After that process is completed users should be able to successfully login via their SIS/portal (through Clever), click on the VHL Central / Vista Higher Learning icon/link setup by the school district’s Clever admin to access VHL Central to begin the account creation process.
NOTE: If issue requires resolution from Clever, TS Supervisor group (Herbert Mena, Edison Gomez, Julian Mantilla, Tina Desprez) may refer to the "Clever_Ticket Sharing Process" attachment.
3. Is the information collected from Tier 1 troubleshooting accurate?
Yes: Escalate to Tech Dev or Eric Mack (for updating of school and district associations) via JIRA issue.
No: Update information collected during troubleshooting. Run through the troubleshooting steps. (If necessary, escalate to Herbert Mena to mark as a returned Tier 1 escalation and review with agent.)
Handling Shared Tickets in Zendesk NOTE FOR Tier 2
Help Center has section for support teams at support.clever.com. Look for section on application partner resources (video, articles, how-to troubleshooting).
- Support Phone: 800.521.6516 (may no longer be in service as of 2/1/2017)
- Support email: email@example.com
- Support Help Center: clever.com
- Enterprise Support Center: support.clever.com
- Support Hours: 7am-4pm PT; school start 5am - 4pm PT (all of Aug and Sep)
Clever Login Triage Resources for Agent Use
If user is having difficulty with login review the triage steps in this article provided by Clever Support at https://support.clever.com/hc/en-us/articles/221231247